Monday, October 02, 2006

Ano, this is a letter written in apology to Dr.Boon


On 25th September 2006, Monday, I wrote a blog entry that got the attention of a member of the public, who later wrote a letter to the school, complaining about my rude attitude towards Dr. Boon, our school principal.

Firstly, I would like to apologize sincerely to our principal, Dr. Boon for being so rude and disrespectful towards her. I’m really Sorry.

Last Week, I was called upon by Mr. Chua and Mrs. Goh concerning this matter, and I truly feel very regretful after that. However, this was also a lesson learnt for me, and I promise never to commit the same mistake again.

Just last year, some teenagers were arrested for blogging criticizing remarks on malays, and this aroused a lot of attention from the public, and many people had different views on their reason for doing so, the government thinks that this would destroy or weaken the religious harmony in Singapore. Our government has always emphasized on racial harmony in our country, therefore, these thoughtless teens were thrown into jail for doing so.

This incident educates the public of “thinking twice before you speak”, and although I did not blog on something so serious, what I did was actually similar, and I should not blog openly on such topics, and critism should not be shown, as it might hurt the feelings of others. One might argue that a Blog is an online diary, and that he or she has the right to write whatever she wants. However, after thinking about it again in the afternoon, I realized it was wrong to even show criticism; A blog is perhaps a form of communication for me and my friends, and also a place where I record my daily events, it should not be a place that hurts the feelings of others, destroys the reputation of others, or a place that gives rise to quarrels or fights. It should be, a “peaceful” place for the enjoyment of others.

I understand that the School is trying to educate us, the students, to be more careful in the future and to watch our words carefully. This little incident definitely taught me a lesson; at least I would not get into trouble perhaps larger than this in the future. For this I thank the school, this strict education towards us does good character shaping, and I am very sure that the ultimate aim of the Principal, and the staff of the school, is to let us succeed in the future, not only financially or education-wise, but also character-wise. I believe that the most important thing that a person should possess is to hold a great character, to help others in need and bring joy to the lives of others.

Dr.Boon has always educated us on having good moral values—to become
Accomplished
Honourable
Servant-leaders
In short, AHS.

My behaviour was definitely not an honorable one, it is something that I should be ashamed of. Our principal has tried her best to bring out the best in us, what right do I have to pass those remarks? Respect should be shown to adults at all times, it does not mean we can do whatever we like without the supervision of adults, we should instead be disciplined at all times, like what the school has taught us to be.

That afternoon, I immediately removed the portion of Monday’s post upon reaching home, and I also read the book where dr. boon was interviewed:
“我们希望学生能饮水思源,百折不挠,向上向善”
these values are actually rather important, we should not give up, we should be grateful for what we have and give thanks for it, also to soar onto higher grounds and be a kind person at heart.

Being a kind person at heart is to consider for others’ feelings, caring for others and in this case, not passing mean comments on others.

Looking at the contents I have written in here in this reflection, I can see that the school has indeed done lots of things for us, and I should be proud of the school I am in. In order to show my love for the school, I should strive to be a better student not only academically, but also character-wise.

To sum it all up, I would really like to apologize to Dr. Boon and those offended by my post, I’ll be sure not to commit the same mistakes ever again, and I seek for their forgiveness.

Thank you

No comments: